2011 Tax Tips for Family Caregivers

Mom & Dad Care


If you are supporting an elderly parent, you may qualify for some tax benefits from the U.S. government that reward you for your caregiving efforts. These tax benefits may include claiming your parent as a dependent on your tax return or deducting the contributions you made towards their medical expenses and care. In order to qualify for these tax breaks, you must first be aware of the tax benefits available and then determine whether you qualify. “It is important for all family caregivers to verify their eligibility and take advantage of these tax credits,” said Allen Hager, chairman and CEO of Right at Home, Inc, an international in-home care franchise.

Answers to Tax Questions Caregivers Ask Most

Tip #1: Determine if you are able to claim your elderly parent as a dependent.

If you support your elderly parent, you will want to claim him/her as a dependent on your…

View original post 809 more words


Posted on February 23, 2012, in Aging Parents and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: